7 Ways to Renew Your Life Today
Just like a loaf of bread that’s been left out too long, life can sometimes seem stale if we let routine take over. We get comfortable with what is and ignore what could be. Being present is important — it’s the foundation of Power Living and experiencing the special moments in life. However, actively claiming your future is key to growth. Balancing the two modes is the trick. Whether you’re looking for a complete overhaul or simply a fresh outlook, here are seven ways to renew your life today:
1. Pause — Slowing down for a moment allows you to hear what’s really in your heart so you can make values-driven decisions. Instead of running from one thing to the next, schedule in pauses. Make a point to stop, take a breath and ask yourself, “Is this what I really want to be doing right now? Is there a better — and possibly more fun — way to accomplish this?” Pausing can help you find new approaches to the same old tasks.
2. Change your mind — Life is a mirror and will reflect back to you what you think into it. If you operate on autopilot, you may forget the instructions you’ve given your subconscious. You may be reinforcing — through your mental habits — the very things you fear. Today, take a few moments to notice and jot down your thoughts. At the end of the day, review any patterns. If you detect a negative track, replace it with a positive one.
3. See a new reality — I’m sure you’ve heard of the statement, “If you can see it, you can be it.” For years top athletes have used visualization as a technique to improve their performance. You can use it to improve your life by mentally rehearsing your success. If you are unhappy about your current circumstances, then put on your dreaming cap. Imagine your new world. You are the architect of your life and your dreams are the blueprints. Use your imagination and the power of visualization to expand your potential — and then take action.
Life is a mirror and will reflect back to you what you think into it.
5. Charge your energy — Pumping up your physical energy can help put you in the right frame of mind for transformation. In addition to releasing mood-enhancing chemicals in the brain, exercise can improve your overall endurance so you can have the staying power to reach your destiny. Your food choices will also make the difference between having clarity or “brain fog.”
4. Release dead weight — Clearing the clutter from your life creates space for the new. As you throw out physical things, you may also need to let go of some people in your current circle. Even though you are the architect of your life, sometimes there is a demolition crew hanging around you waiting to tear things down. Fire them — or at the very least, put them on probation by setting new boundaries.
6. Shift your surroundings — Stepping away from your current environment can help you change your frame of reference. If you travel for work, take an hour for yourself to simply walk around the locale. If you can’t hop on a plane, go to a park you’ve never visited before. Allow your mind to wander and your senses to take in everything around you. You’ll be amazed at how this can spur creativity and spark insights.
7. Dive into unfamiliar experiences — Doing something you’ve never done before is a sure way to shake things up. If you usually run, sign up for a tango class instead. If you love food, consider taking a healthy gourmet cooking class. A completely new experience will give you a different perspective, help you make new friends and allow the brain to make new connections.
Remember, you don’t have to do anything. Everything is a choice. Every moment is an opportunity to create the life you want. Whether you’re shifting your thoughts or changing your environment, the power is in your hands.
Copyright Teresa Kay-Aba Kennedy | Image: By Eun-ah Lee
Article originally published in The Huffington Post.
Teresa Kay-Aba Kennedy is a Harvard Business School-trained Strategist, Mind-Body Expert, Award-Winning Author, Keynote Speaker and Activist. She is Founder & CEO of Power Living and creator of Elder Dignity. Selected as a World Economic Forum Young Global Leader, her mission is to unleash human potential and create a more just and sustainable world.
Get inspiration delivered to you...
Join thousands of others and sign up for our Power Living newsletter. Receive inspiration in your inbox, as well as sneak peeks on special events and offers. Know that your information will not be shared.